Wednesday, August 1, 2012

No more prequels, please!

I hate prequels.

Perhaps I should expand on that thought. In movies, games, comics, etc., prequels have become commonplace these days. Pick a popular franchise, and chances are a prequel installment (or more than one) has either happened or is under consideration. Heck, the Star Wars franchise pretty much exists entirely on prequels. They allow companies to leverage consumer's familiarity with characters, settings, and events to expand upon the fiction in a low-risk manner. From a business standpoint, they make a ton of sense.

From a creative standpoint? I think they're an abomination. I feel like they are lazy and creatively bankrupt. When I watch or play a prequel, I cannot escape the feeling that ultimately none of it matters. Whatever universe that particular story is set in, the final resting state is already predetermined. I know in a general sense what the fate of any major character will be; the total lack of uncertainty robs the work of any real weight.

At a fundamental level, fiction is enjoyable because of its limitless possibilities. This poor kid from a rural farm really could one day become the savior of the galaxy. That ragtag band of creatures might just complete their quest to stop an evil god from destroying the world. Those two people have a chance to fall in love and make a life together. As a reader/viewer/player, I'm engaged because I need to find out if those things will actually happen. If I start off knowing that the two friends I'm watching will be mortal enemies one day, well... why should I care about their friendship?

I want to see creative folks taking risks. I want them to push stories, characters, and worlds into new areas. I want to be surprised. I believe that humanity in general would be better served if we looked ahead far more than we looked behind, and I don't think that's too much to ask of our entertainment.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to watch the trailer for The Hobbit again, because it looks totally cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment