Tuesday, July 31, 2012

My portion control theory of video games

Here goes a real crackpot theory about what makes video games enjoyable, from a nearly 40-year old guy home with a sick daughter after putting in a half day's work at a job he hates:

I joined Weight Watchers a few months ago, and it's worked really well for me so far. I've managed to get my weight from Stay-Puft to Ball Park Frank, and I've got my eyes set on reaching Hey, He's in Decent Shape. The reason this system works for me is because it applies a clear structure and framework to my diet. It focuses on some very important aspects: keep carbs to a minimum, maximize fruits and vegetables, and one more thing that I've found especially key: portion control.

(Don't worry, I'm getting to video games soon.)

I love food. More accurately, there are a range of foods that I love and when I get a chance to eat them I generally don't hold back. You know what's better than a juicy cheeseburger with lettuce and onion? A juicy bacon double cheeseburger with mayo, lettuce, and onion along with a big side of fries and a giant, ice cold Coke. The only thing I love more than crispy fried chicken is a bucket of crispy fried chicken, plus mashed potatoes and gravy. More is always better, right?

(Seriously, hang in there.)

What WW has gotten me to realize is that my life will be better if I exercise some discipline and enjoy the foods I love IN MODERATION. I've lost a lot of weight and feel incredibly healthier, and I still get to have cheese, bacon, etc. An added bonus is that I honestly think I appreciate the foods I love even more now. I can savor the tastes without ever overdoing it, without "losing" the enjoyment amidst the gluttony. It's a concentrated amount of happiness, accentuated by a clean, strong finish.

(Here we go!)

Read that last sentence again. Isn't that a great description of a good video game? Think of all the great games you've played: I bet to some extent they avoided poor pacing and weak, drawn-out endings while focusing on clear, strong experiences that wrap up with precision. One of the famous core development tenets at Bungie during the creation of the Halo games was "30 seconds of fun", the idea that they would create intense bursts of gameplay that kept the player engaged throughout the game. I'm not a big Halo fan, but it's hard to fault the design theory.

I know it's not the One, True Theory of game development; there are plenty of other factors that go into sound game development. For my favorite games, though (Burnout; Psychonauts; Arkham City; Bioshock), it's very important. Reasonably sized, high-quality portions of gameplay, offered at a sensible pace without fattening filler that no one actually likes anyway. See? Genius.

I do miss french fries, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment